- Gopeng is a town located in Mukim Teja, Kampar District, Perak, Malaysia. It is situated approximately 20 km south of Ipoh, the state capital. The town is located on the west side of the North-South Expressway stretch of Tapah – Simpang Pulai. The limestone hills and the Titiwangsa Mountains are clearly visible; the expressway penetrates between them and the view of the Tapah-Gopeng stretch is one of the most picturesque areas on the west side of Peninsular Malaysia.
- Gopeng was once flourished with tin mining industry, and now Gopeng is flourished with eco-tourism and outdoor adventure.
The town of Gopeng is surrounded by jungles, rivers, waterfalls, mountains, caves (Gua Tempurung), ponds, and villages. This makes Gopeng a great adventure destination! No time to get bored!
There are daily intercity bus services. The Kinta Omnibus runs between Kampar, Kota Baru Estate, Batu Gajah, Gopeng and the Ipoh Bus Station at Medan Kidd. There is only one known public bus commuter service in Gopeng. Express bus services from various locations will generally pick and drop passengers in Gopeng, many of these express buses are en route to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Penang to the north. Taxi services are also available in Gopeng, they are stationed at the Gopeng Bus Station.
- Durian – the most anticipated fruit season in Gopeng, dozens of stalls erected in various parts of Gopeng town and numerous Malay villages around Gopeng.
- The rambutan, langsat and nangka are also popular during the fruit season.
- Gopeng Lai Funor rice noodles is a well-known dish locally, particularly among the Chinese community in Gopeng and surrounding towns. It is best served with laksa and homemade tauhu. Gopeng tauhu is distinguished with its darker top rather than ordinary tauhu which is light brown.
- During Aidilfitri holidays, theKelamai becomes the highlight of the day and it became the signature cuisine of the Malays in Gopeng. The Kelamai partly resembles the Lemang but Kelamai is treated with tedious care and complicated procedures of preparing the bamboo and its contents. Above all, it tastes sweeter than Lemang with the addition of red sugar, and the Kelamai is in dark brown in colour. People will have to crack open the bamboo just like the Lemang itself to have its contents to be served for the guests. In other variations, coconut floss are also served on top of the sliced Kelamai to add the sweetness.
White water rafting
The main attraction of the region is the white water rafting. You will experience an exciting 2 1/2 hours by river rafting through the rapids of the river Kampar. Depending on the weather conditions, the water can be wild or much wilder.For safety reasons, safety briefing will be done before going down the river which covers the paddling commands, paddling skills, capsize drills, actions when overboard or river rescue.
After 10-15 minutes of briefing by our professional river guide, you are now ready for a river rafting adventure.
Waterfall abseiling you have to go to Ulu Geruntum which is a 30mins ride through a narrow tarred village road. The Geruntum waterfall is very popular for abseiling. You’ll be well equiped and you’ll go slowly from the 15 meter high waterfall. It’s not supposed to do this quickly. The water falls at great speed down.
Have some splash moment at the river with tubing activities. This water based activity is fun and relaxing in one of the scenic river in Malaysia; Kampar River.Imagine floating down the river using tube and experience nature first-hand. One can have some me time far from the city and enjoy the 2km gentle rapid along the winding river.
Gua Tempurung & Gua Kandu
Deep within the jungle of Malaysia is one of the most majestic white marble and limestone towers called Gua Tempurung. Concealed within this limestone massif is an intricate system of caves of various dimensions honeycombed inside the limestone hills. This cave is metaphorically a breathtaking gallery of stalagmites and stalactites and other amazing rock formations which are superb speleological wonders found only in this part of the world.
The Rafflesia Species named after M. Cantley, curator of the Singapore Botanic Gardens (1880-1886). The trekking will only take around 1 hour 30 minutes. But to go there, it will take another 1hour 30minutes by lorry. The walking distance are only a few kilometer (maximum 5km).The trek to the Rafflesia is near a little village about 12km from Gopeng, near Ipoh, Perak. To trek through the jungle to where the Rafflesia thrives, you need to engage the services of a Semai Orang Asli guide. The trek was hilly, some parts you really have to climb. Halfway up the hill, you can already see a Rafflesia.
Jungle trekking commences cover a distance of 10 km. The journey takes around 2 hours – 4 hours.
The Gaharu Tea Valley
The Gaharu Tea Valley has large tea trees instead of tea bushes, as in the Cameron Highlands. The Gaharu trees are large and tea leaves can not be as easy as picked in the Cameron Highlands. Gaharu tea is rich in essential minerals such as vitamins, calcium, zinc, iron and manganese. Gaharu leaves contain high levels of anti-aging and anti-cancer properties because of its high anti-oxidant contents.
Hotel in Gopeng
1 – Gopeng Inn
2 – Rumah rehat Adeline
3 – Ulu River Lodge
4 – Grand Kampar Hotel